Friday, August 6, 2004

Rescued

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4 (NIV)



As a little girl, I had nightmares, vivid dreams so disturbing I can remember them to this day. On more than one occasion, I’d climb out of bed and sleepwalk and talk trying my best to rid myself of the images playing in my head.



My mother would hear me bumping and stumbling around in my room and she’d come to my rescue. Usually when she turned on the light, I’d wake up. But a couple of times, I didn’t believe she really stood there. I didn’t recognize her. Only her persistent voice saying, “Donna, it’s me. I’m right here” awakened me and gave me comfort.



Are you stumbling around in life? Do you need to be rescued? Sometimes events cause us to feel as if our life is a bad dream. It’s during those times you may feel as if God isn’t really there.



In Matthew 14, we read how the disciples got into a boat without Jesus who went up on a mountainside to pray. After night fell, Jesus walked on the water out to the boat. Isn’t that amazing? The disciples didn’t recognize Him.



Then Jesus said, “It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (Vs. 27 NIV)



Just like my mom’s presence alleviated my fear and calmed me, Jesus’ presence brought peace and comfort to the anxious disciples



Paul told the believers in Philippi, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV)



How do you ‘present a request to God’? You cry out to Him. I’m thankful that when I cry out in the midst of the storms of life, God comforts me. Is your life in turmoil? Cry out to God. He brings a peace that transcends all understanding to His children.



Prayer: Lord, I praise You for the promise that when I called upon Your name, You saved me. Thank You for peace and the comfort of the Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you take a concrete, real life example and use it to make spiritual truth come alive. You do a great job with these devotionals. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nightmares as a child, and in early adulthood, was my being chased by monsters (Gozilla). I would try to get away, find ways to change my pattern of running, hide in buildings, go to the left or go to the right. But my legs were weak and I ran in slow motion. I got rid of these dreams when I faced my fears during my waking hours. I stopped running from the truth. The truth being that life is tough and I had to face it instead of running from it, and that bad situtaions are unavoidable, but what we do with those bad situations is what makes the difference. And, best of all, The Good Lord heals all.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...