Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Dust and Discipline

For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life. – Proverbs 6:23

 

I bought a new vacuum cleaner last week. It has several attachments, settings, and even a new gadget on the side with a duster that spins the dirt out after each use. After sitting in the box for several days, my husband put it together. I ran a few swipes across the floor and marveled at how helpful my new gadgets will be.

 

Then I set it in the corner of the family room where it has collected dust.

 

How many people have treadmills, stationary bicycles, and several other fitness machines collecting dust in their basements or garages? It’s delusional to think buying the equipment alone will get you into shape. I know. I’ve done it, too. My sweeper is an efficient machine, but it won’t clean my house by itself.

 

Do you have a Bible sitting in your house collecting dust? Just like buying health food and then letting it rot won’t make you any healthier, having a Bible to feed your spiritual body won’t help you if you don’t read it.

 

It takes discipline to keep a clean house or to work at keeping a fit, healthy body. It takes discipline to study the Word of God.

 

The apostle Paul wrote to Timothy,  "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (II Timothy 2:15).

 

The Amplified Bible explains the last phrase as meaning we rightly handle and skillfully teach the Word of Truth. How can we teach something we don’t know?

 

Let’s dust off our Bibles and study the Word of God.

 

Since I’ve written about discipline, I realize – I need to use that vacuum cleaner again!



Prayer: Lord, thank You for Your Word. Help me to correctly handle the Word of Truth. I desire to be Your disciple. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Donna,

    I don't know about you but vacuuming is exercise for me! It is one activity that is guaranteed to make me sweat. So in essence you bought yourself another exercise machine when you bought the fancy vacuum. But I hope this machine gathers less dust than would a rowing machine in your (most people's) home. :-)

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, this is a much needed devotional. I try to be disciplined regarding studying the Word of God daily, but can sure spend more time with it!! God bless you and continue to give you insights for a closer walk with the Lord.

    Songbird

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna- lovely devotionals, I especially enjoyed your Bird Nerds series.... Please consider me the newest member of your flock! God Bless.
    --K> (Maine)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...