Wednesday, July 7, 2004

Bird Nerd – Part 4

Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. – Matthew 9:37



Did you know that hummingbirds must feed approximately every ten minutes all day? They can consume two thirds of their body weight in a single day. It’s no wonder they seem so greedy when they flutter around the feeder I set up out on my deck.



Every Sunday, two types of people walk through the church doors. The first group comes for a blessing. They are just like the little birds, dipping their beaks into the sweet nectar of the Spirit. “I came to be blessed,” they chirp. They flutter around hungry for a blessing.



The people in the second group come to BE a blessing. These are the ones who walk through the door of the church with the questions, “What would the Lord have me do today? How can I help?”



And isn’t it funny how the Lord works? The people in the second group desire to be a blessing, and because they follow the leading of the Lord, are blessed.



There are times when we are part of the first group. Perhaps we’ve endured a trial or feel we have nothing to give, and there is, of course, nothing wrong with that. The Psalmist wrote, “Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.” (Psalm 57:1 NIV)



But if we find ourselves being greedy most of the time, perhaps it is time we leave the nest and become more mature Christians.



I desire to be a giver – someone who strives to bless others and work for the Lord, don’t you?



Prayer: Lord, thank You for allowing me to be a part of Your Body. I pray I will be a diligent worker in Your kingdom. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that our wonderful God is trustworthy! His promises are true! Sometimes I wonder, where would I be if it were not for his promises? There wouldn't be any hope. I thank God for his many promises and for doing what he says he will do.

    Songbird

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...