Thursday, July 20, 2006

Perseverance

*For something different, I'm including a few posts on writing. I have a lot of readers who write, too!

Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart. - Proverbs 3:3

I attended an SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators) meeting recently. Diana Jenkins spoke, and gave us many wonderful tips on how to get published in children’s magazines. She knows whereof she speaks, having been published over 400 times.

When we ooh-ed and ah-ed over her body of work, she hastened to say she has probably had at least four times that many rejections – more in the beginning. That’s 1,600!

But even in being rejected, Diana was in no way dejected. She looks to the future, and when receiving that dreaded letter declining to use her masterpiece, she anticipates a sale to a more fortunate editor.

I enjoyed listening to someone speak who is so prolific and excited about writing, and also learned a few other tips – to be hardworking and organized, and perseverant.

What’s #1 on your ‘to do’ list? As my example, I look to Jesus. He knew His life’s mission, His purpose. He set goals, and made each day count. As His days dwindled, He never let up.

Sometime I get so caught up in the busyness of life, I lose sight of my goal, my purpose – to serve God and share His love.

In the first chapter of the book of Mark, we read where Jesus had an extremely busy day. He taught at the synagogue, cast an evil spirit out of a man, and then went to Simon and Andrew’s home where He healed Simon’s mother-in-law. That evening the whole town gathered at the door! “Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.”

The next morning, Jesus got up very early in the morning to pray. When His disciples came looking for Him, he said, "Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." He already had His ‘to do’ list. He knew His purpose.

If anyone would be our example of perseverance, Jesus would. He carried on with His mission, and accomplished the will of God. Oh, that I could be so focused, and clear about my goals, and carry on in His will for my writing!

God has given us the ability to be creative. Let’s follow Jesus’ example, and focus on our mission.

How many words have you written this week? Perhaps you need to get caught up on some research, and have been putting it off. Did you send that query letter yet? I’m preachin’ to myself here, too, you know. We won’t get 400 articles published this week, but we might get one. You might not write an entire novel, but three chapters would be a great start.

Let’s keep writing!

Prayer: Lord, please give me wisdom to use the abilities with which You've gifted me, and grant me the perseverance to accomplish what You would have me do. Thank You for Your love. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...