Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Giving Up the Goal



Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? - Galatians 3:3 niv

This morning when you started your day, did you have an agenda? Many people, at least the more organized ones, begin by consulting a ‘to do’ list. In our society, being goal oriented is viewed as a good attribute.

It seems as if I fight a continual battle to get and stay organized. I make out my list, marking off the more important tasks, dividing them into categories, and putting a checkmark beside each task as I complete it.

Many times, I barely get the list compiled, and I need to crumple it up and throw it out. Each day is an adventure, and some days I have to give up my goals and let God decide.

I love the way David described life in Psalm 139. We are “fearfully and wonderfully made” and “all the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.” Did you know that God ordained your life before you took your first breath? Ordain means to put in order by virtue of superior authority.

When life throws me lemons, I try to squeeze the adversity out of it, and let the sweet Holy Spirit calm me while I sip my ‘spiritual lemonade.’ In my distress, I do my best to remember that God is in control. It’s difficult to surrender. Our nature is to try to control, but when we surrender, we give up the goals, and let God decide.

I’ll continue to write my lists. God is not the author of confusion. I desire to set goals that reflect godly priorities, and depend on God to direct me on this path through life – even when my day doesn’t pattern itself after my ‘to do’ list.

When I think of the book mentioned in Psalm 139:16, I wonder what my book of life looks like. How many chapters does it have? I hope it’s a nice, thick book!

Prayer: Lord, I thank you for the very breath of life. I pray that I will live this day as You direct and guide. Help me to live according to the Spirit, submitting my will to Yours. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Donna

    You have a way of always knowing what I need to hear. Thank you. I am somewhat organized, but making a list and following a list are not necessarily the same thing. I think my problem is that I don't always make my #1 listing "Ask God".

    What would you have me do today Lord? Lead me in the steps I should follow, and make your instructions clear. Thy will be done. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO, I LOVE YOUR DEVOTIONALS!! I REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO, I FEEL LIKE A PIECE OF TRASH, AND I AM A FAILURE WITH THE LORD. I TRY SO HARD TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS,BUT I ALWAYS END UP MESSING THINGS UP. I AM SPIRIT FILLED AND HAVE A WONDERFUL GIFT WORKING IN MY LIFE. I HAVE A MISERABLE MARRIAGE AND EXISTANCE IN THIS LIFE. I HAVE NO LIFE. EVERYTIME I GET UP SET I FEEL AS THOUGH I NEED A CIGARETTE. I HAVE STRUGGLED WITH THIS PROBLEM OFF AND ON FOR YEARS. I AM A STUPID IDIOT, WHO DOES NOT FEEL LOVED, AND THERE IS NOTHING TO LIVE FOR, MY HUSBAND HATES ME, AND I AM JUST EXISTING. I AM NOT ON A PITY PARTY, I JUST CAN'T SOAK ANY MORE IN.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TALK TO ME. I NEED HELP. EMAIL IS: SOFTKITTEN@SBCGLOBAL.NET

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...