Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Bird Nerd – Part 3

At all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. – Ephesians 5:20 AMP





A friend of mine bought a hummingbird feeder. He enjoyed it so much he suggested I set one up, too.



After much deliberation at the hardware store, I bought one with a picture on the box of a half dozen hummingbirds flying around it. Excitedly, I boiled water, added the sugar – measuring it to the last granule. I cooled the mixture, filled the feeder, hung it up, and waited…and waited.



After a few days, the water grew cloudy. Not one bird visited the feeder. “What’s so great about this?” I muttered as I took down the feeder, filled it up with fresh nectar, and hung it up again.



It seemed like a long time, but was, in fact, only a few days later when the first hummingbird showed up.



I held my breath, afraid to move a muscle, and watched when the tiny, iridescent bird that seemed to appear out of nowhere began to dip into the sweet nectar. He then quickly disappeared.



When a beautiful hummingbird graced me with its presence, I had to stop everything to watch it gobble up the liquid I had so carefully prepared. I found myself standing at the patio door several times a day waiting for my next visitor. Soon I had ‘regulars’ I could identify by their markings.



But I wanted more. I wanted them to flock around the feeder like the picture on the box. As if in answer to a whispered prayer, two showed up at once. How precious, I thought – until they began to fight over the feeder!



As I watched them, I realized I could identify with them. I had fallen into the trap of greediness; I had eagerly awaited the arrival of one bird, and then wanted two.



At times, I fight the tendency to be a greedy Christian. I pray and ask for a blessing. God graciously answers, and then I want more. I suspect I’m not the only one. He could send a ‘flock’ of blessings, and we would still be greedy.



How many times has the Lord blessed us, and before we even thank Him, we cry out for more? Are we are like the little birds? Do we look heavenward and cry, “Bless me, bless me”?



There’s nothing wrong with making requests of God. Paul told the Philippians, “Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” (Philippians 4:6 NLT)



But I’ve been guilty of having a long list of prayer requests. Where is my list of prayer praises? I try to remember to thank God first before I start asking for anything.



And I thank God for the tiny hummingbirds that taught me a lesson about greed.



Prayer: Lord, You are my ruler and have all power over my circumstances. Thank you for the many blessings You’ve provided for me. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Donna, Your God given words always speak to me and make me smile. Matt 6:25 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna

    You have touched me again. I have a long list of prayer requests that I go through each morning. I do start of with praises but they are usually smaller in number and said by rote. Thanks to your reminder I will be writing a long list of praises to precede my already long list of prayer requests from now one. Praise the Lord for people like you to show us the way.

    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I always enjoy reading your work!

    Love ya,

    Bert

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...